View all 617 Jobs
Job vacancy Finance and Admin Officer, Joint Secretariat Support Office (PJSS)
View all 617 Jobs
African Development Bank
Finance and Admin Officer, Joint Secretariat Support Office (PJSS)
The African Development Bank Group (the Bank) is the premier pan-African development institution promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. It is composed of 81 member states, including 54 Regional Member Countries (African Countries) and 27 non-regional member countries.
The Bank mobilizes and allocates resources to African countries, individually and collectively, for investment in public and private capital projects and programmes. To ensure greater developmental impacts and accelerate the implementation of its Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022), the Bank’s operational focus has been placed on the High Fives: powering Africa, feeding Africa, industrializing Africa, integrating Africa, and improving the quality of life of Africans.
The Bank is seeking to build a management team to lead the successful implementation of its Ten-Year Strategy and High Fives.
The Presidency Complex (URPR) comprises the Office of The President of the Bank Group and all corporate offices, departments and other organizational units that are directly subordinate to the Presidency in administrative as well as functional terms. The President, in the capacity of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Bank Group, is mandated to provide competent strategic management of the Bank Group and all its resources towards the fulfillment of the Bank Group’s purpose of contributing to economic development and social progress of Regional Member Countries.
The Presidency Complex provides day-to-day and medium-term corporate leadership and executive oversight maintains communication with the Bank Group’s Member Countries and supports the Boards of Directors in the conduct of their statutory roles. In addition, the Complex provides legal and regulatory oversight on the conduct of the Bank Group’s business and integrated risk management of Bank Group operations, oversees corporate communication with a range of internal and external stakeholders, promotes integrity, transparency and the highest ethical standards and norms among Bank Group personnel in the conduct of their work, and assures the security of the Bank Group’s personnel, premises and physical assets, information and data in all locations where the Bank Group operates. Furthermore, the PRST Complex is also involved in catalyzing investment from various sources in line with the operational priorities of the Bank Group.
The President directly supervises several departments and units including the Office of the President (PCSC); the Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); the Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); the Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); the General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); the Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); the Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH); Office of the Secretary-General & General Secretariat (PSEG); the Africa Investment Forum (PAIF); the Joint Secretariat Support Office (PJSS) and; the External Representation Office in Asia (PEXT).
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Joint Secretariat Support Office (PJSS) was established by three pan-African institutions comprising the African Union Commission (AUC), the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), and the African Development Bank Group (AfDB). Its main objective is to promote coordination, collaboration, and leverage synergies between the three institutions.
The work of the Joint Secretariat Support Office has been recently revised to focus on the Bank’s strategic partnership with the AUC to accelerate the mainstreaming, implementation and monitoring of Agenda 2063 and other continental initiatives. As part of this work, the Joint Secretariat Support Office has created five coordination platforms that it co-chairs with various AU departments and commissions in order to ensure alignment of programming and harmonized reporting on Agenda 2063.
In coordination with the Bank’s Regional Integration Coordination Office (RDRI) as well as other departments, the Joint Secretariat Support Office facilitates and leads the Bank’s active participation in all AU Summits. The department showcases the impacts of the Bank’s work and solicits high-level continental and global support for strategic initiatives, programs, and projects that help the continent respond to emerging global challenges.
The Administrative and Finance Officer position of the Joint Secretariat Support Office is physically located within Ethiopia Country Office (COETH), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia but the unit reports directly to the President of the Bank as part of the Presidency Complex.
The Finance and Administration Officer will have responsibility for financial administration, including the management of the accounts for the office, the financial information required for various activities associated with the office, the day-to-day financial management, as well as undertaking general administrative tasks under the guidance of the Director. The officer will ensure the effective management and efficient use of Bank resources in compliance with the Bank’s policies and guidelines. The officer will provide line supervision to Administrative Assistants where they exist.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Lead Program Coordinator, the Administrative and Finance Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Budget Preparation and Implementation
- Draw up the administrative budget of the Joint Secretariat Support Office following the schedule set by the Budget Department;
- Contribute to the preparation of centralized budgets at headquarters to take into account the particular investment needs of the Joint Secretariat Support Office;
- Monitor expenditure in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures; Report periodically on the status of the budget implementation and propose possible revisions.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Establish procedures and controls to improve the efficiency of service and identify cost savings and promote efficient use of Bank resources;
- Provide guidance on accounting treatment and financial transactions with respect to Joint Secretariat Support Office;
- Advise management on methods to improve control environment in the Joint Secretariat Support Office;
- Upload and check the accounting entries in SAP;
- Facilitate travel and related administrative arrangements for Joint Secretariat Support Office staff members including procurement of tickets and follow-up on travel claims and other related entitlements;
- Review monthly financial reports, timely preparation and verification of reports, statements and schedules for auditing of the Joint Secretariat Support Office activities.
Human Resources Management
- Submit reports on personnel management;
- Manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force;
- Assist the Director and Lead Program Coordinator with consultant recruitment and staffing issues.
General Administration & Procurement
- Oversee institutional procurement of goods and services and management of property and equipment;
- Prepare and monitor service providers’ contracts;
- Ascertain sound stock keeping for office supplies and inventory of Bank property and equipment;
- Control the processing of mission expenditure advances and balances;
- Ensure the quality of Bank facilities in Joint Secretariat Support Office, including workspaces according to Bank standards, property and equipment as well as service provision relating to the upkeep, maintenance and security of facilities;
- Inform and discuss with counterparts at Headquarters the administrative problems affecting Joint Secretariat Support Office in order to find appropriate solutions thereto;
- Facilitate the obtainment of administrative documents necessary for the proper functioning of the office and staff from the relevant authorities;
- Organize, supervise, and monitor the activities of administrative staff and ensure appropriate training for the latter in order to obtain quality services.
- Undertake any other official duties that may be assigned by the Director or Lead Program Coordinator.
- The Administrative and Finance Officer will ensure monthly monitoring of finance and administrative activities of the Joint Secretariat Support Office;
- Prepare a quarterly report for the respective managers highlighting issues that require their attention;
- Ensure that proper administrative and logistic controls are implemented;
- Ensure that proper control mechanisms and segregation of duties are in place and that Bank procedures are fully implemented.
- Liaise with various ministries and other host country authorities and with various Diplomatic Missions to accomplish and advance the work and mission of the Bank.
- Assisting conference organizers in obtaining visas, booking, conference venues, and making logistical arrangements;
- Liaise with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and public utility agencies
- Process and follow up on entry visa applications with relevant ministries, authorities and services;
- Facilitate customs formalities and clear shipments
COMPETENCIES (Qualifications, Experience & Skills):
- At least a Master's degree in Accounting, Information Systems, Finance or Business Administration. Membership in an internationally recognized professional accounting body (CA, CPA, ACCA or their equivalents) would be an advantage.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in an accounting firm or in an international/multinational financial organization, and additional experience in a public or private sector organization would be an advantage
- Capacity to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, in English or French.
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of SAP S/R would be an advantage.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Apply for this Job
More Job Vacancies
- Employee | Full Time | 28 Jan, 2023JOB BYEthioJobs
See all jobs