View all 617 Jobs
Job vacancy Capacity Building Senior Officer (Education)
View all 617 Jobs
Capacity Building Senior Officer (Education)
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Political conflict in Ethiopia continues to affect parts of Tigray, Afar, and Amhara (the Northern Ethiopian Crisis), Central and Western Oromia, as well as Benishangul-Gumuz with the involvement of non-state armed groups and Federal authorities. Inter-communal violence has been witnessed in parts of Southern Nations, Nationalities and People’s Region (SNNP), Benishangul-Gumuz, Oromia, and, recently, in Afar and Western Tigray. These localized conflicts have largely been over access to resources and related grievances, including questions on land and land use rights. To help address these issues, In Ethiopia, The world bank funded programme, to be managed by UNOPS EMCO, aims as a response - recovery - resilience for conflict-affected communities in Ethiopia (3R-4-CACE). The Key objectives of the project are to (i) rebuild access to basic services and climate-resilient community infrastructure and (ii) improve access to multi-sectoral response services for GBV survivors; in targeted conflict-affected communities in Ethiopia.
The selected candidate will work closely with the Project team, international consultants and the Ministry of Education to support the implementation of activities relating to rebuilding access to basic services and climate-resilient community infrastructure.
- Support to programme development and planning - specifically to education needs.
- Contribute to programme management, monitoring and delivery of results.
- Technical and operational support to programme implementation.
- Networking and partnership building.
1. Support to programme development and planning
- Support preparation of technical reports and provide inputs for programme preparation and documentation ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral programme goals, objectives, strategies, and results-based planning.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by preparing materials and documentation, including Terms of References, and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning and monitoring and evaluation of results.
2. Contribute to programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners to collect, analyze and share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions and submit reports to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decisions.
- Review and provide subject matter expert opinions on education-related reports, surveys, assessments and other related documents.
- Maintain diaries and progress reports as required by the organization’s standard procedures.
3. Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Participate in strategic discussions to influence policy and agenda setting on teaching and learning engaging government and donor partners.
- Undertake field visits, as necessary, and share information with stakeholders to assess progress. Report on critical issues for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to the UNOPS Project team, international consultants and the Ministry of Education.
4. Networking and partnership building
Build and maintain strategic partnerships through networking and advocacy with Government counterparts, Project partners and consultants, donors, CSOs and other institutions to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities to promote goals and achieve sustainable and broad results in education.
IV. Impact of Results
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the Capacity Building Senior Officer (Education)
- directly impact the efficient performance of the programme in order to specifically advise and report on the Programme activities required to achieve the results of Rapid Response and Recovery for this project.
- This contributes to the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
- An advanced university degree (Master's or PhD) is required.
- A first university degree (Bachelor's Degree) or equivalent with an additional two( 2) years of experience will be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in an education programme or project development or secondary education or curriculum development accreditation or teachers training and other related fields is required.
- Knowledge of Ethiopian local two (2) years and international education policies and regulations for two (2) years is required.
- Previous experience working with education projects in international organizations or donor-funded projects will be considered an asset.
- Relevant experience in the UN system will be considered an asset.
- Good communication skills for two(2) years are required.
- The ability to assess and analyze information is an advantage.
- Fluency in English (Reading, Speaking & Writing) is required.
- Knowledge of Tigrigna language is an asset.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as a positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Apply for this Job
More Job Vacancies
- Employee | Full Time | 28 Jan, 2023JOB BYEthioJobs
See all jobs